Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Choices

When you were little, what did you want to be?  I know this has probably changed quite a few times over the years, but I'm sure you still have an ultimate goal.  Are you on the right path to achieve your goals.  The only person that can put you on that path and keep you there is yourself.  Your choices shaped who you were, are shaping who you are, and shaping who you become.

A while ago I was playing a game with some of my friends where you pick a question out of a pile and have to answer it kind of like truth or dare.  To be honest the kind of questions it was asking are the kind that really bother me.  What is your deepest fear?  What is your most embarrassing moment?  For me these things are a little too personal and if I really wanted anyone to know I would tell them, but I'm not just going to offer them up to the world.  I hide some things on purpose.  But the one that really bothered me was, What would you change about yourself?  Now, I'm not perfect and everyday I try to make myself at least a little better, but that question is so pointless it's not worth asking.  We have for the most part chosen who we are.  Each of us is based on choices we have made in social, educational, and family situations growing up.  I realize there are things that can't be controlled, but instead of dwelling on those negative aspects of your life, capitalize on them.  Let your weaknesses strengthen you and make you a better person.  Instead of wishing something would magically change about you, take action.  Make new choices today to get you closer to where you want to be.

When it comes right down to it, we are who we are because of the decisions we make.  The environment you grew up in had a big impact on shaping who you are, but it's the choices you have made that have brought have set your path.  Each person makes decisions based on what they view is the correct path to take in life.  Each of us has chosen to behave a certain way because we see it as the most acceptable.  People every day accept themselves to be only capable of a fraction of their potential.  When you set a goal, you have the power to achieve it if you put all of your effort towards it.  You can be the best, the smartest, the most successful if you just try.

As I have quoted Marianne Williamson before, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."  Lately I have been talking to my friends Alexis and Brielle.  I just want to tell them to go for it.  Set your sights high and you will make it beyond what you imagined.  Make the choices today that will shape you into what you want to become.  It is all up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment