Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I Am Not A Nobody

Tonight at Institute a kid got up and said, "I am a nobody, nobody here knows my name, I just go to Snow College."  He kept going on and on about how insignificant he was and I felt bad for him.  I don't know if that was his intent, but I did.  I thought about this for a while and reflected on my feelings on the issue.  I honestly have never had that exact feeling that I am a nobody, and no one else should feel that way either.  I definitely have my self doubts, but I have always felt like I can make a difference.  I may not know my full purpose on earth and may never completely know it, but it doesn't mean that I don't have a purpose.  Everyone has a purpose.  Everyone is here for a reason and we all have something unique and special to offer.  

When we think small and tell ourselves that we are nobodies we are limiting our potential.  This takes me back to my favorite quote by Marianne Williamson.  

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."


It is only when we tell ourselves that we can't that things become impossible.  We can only achieve as much as we set our mind to.  When we dream big, understand that we can make a difference, and push ourselves to achieve our goals and the ones the Lord has set for us; we realize that we are a somebody. Each of us is unique.  Each of us has an impact on our world and those around us.  You are somebody.  You are special and don't let anyone else tell you any differently.

3 comments:

  1. michael! this is actually something i needed to hear right now. thanks for always being there for me. i LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Brielle I'm glad you liked it. I'm so glad I have you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is deep! I'm a fan haha. great job michael :]

    ReplyDelete